So this week, I wanted to challenge myself to make breakfast, lunch, dinner (and snacks) for the 5 day work week UNDER $50. Some people may say that is impossible, but I am here to prove you wrong.
**Disclaimer I spent $42, but I bought beets for $2 because my son loves beets. So really I spent around $40, but I realize each grocery store is different, and so are prices. So I left $10 wiggle room, plus I have some staples I didn't buy.
Staple Ingredients that you either have or definitely should get:
1. Olive Oil
2. Salt/Fresh ground pepper (fresh ground pepper and salt really makes a difference in taste).
3. Peanut Butter
5. Herbs ( I always have herbs de provence, I use it in most of my recipes) But you could use any herb mixture you enjoy really.
My Grocery List:
1. 2 Lbs of Oats
2. 1 lb of trail mix
3. 1 lb of raisins
4. 8 Apples
5. Bunch of bananas (8 approx.)
6. 12 Brown eggs
1. 6 Zucchini
2. 2 Head of Cauliflower
3. Bag of Roma Tomatoes
5. Ground Turkey
6. Chicken breast
Whats on the Menu:
Oats w/banana, cinnamon, and apple slices w/ honey on top
**Can eat scrambled eggs if you like big breakfasts
Homemade Protein bars
Chicken breast w/ Cauliflower, zucchini, stewed tomatoe sauté
Ground Turkey w/ easy chunky tomato sauce and charred zucchini slices
**The key here is you can interchange ingredients to your liking, and the key to keeping the cost down is to be able to use ingredients in multiple meals, but at the same time changing the flavor profile so you don't get bored.
Banana & Apple Oats
1. Cut apple slices and toss in cinnamon.
2. Cook oats in water, throw in your raisins, more cinnamon, and banana (for natural sweetening).
3. Put cooked oats in a bowl, and your apple slices on top. Top it off with honey or agave.
Lunch: Pre-Heat oven to 375
Chicken breast & vegetable saute
1. Cut cauliflower, zucchini, and tomatoes.
2. Put cauliflower in hot pan with olive oil. Char the cauliflower, and when your able to stick a fork in the cauliflower with ease, throw in zucchini, and tomatoes.
3. Put more olive oil, and crushed garlic to taste.
4. Season with salt & pepper.
5. Put water in pan, and cooked veggies to make an easy sauce.
6. When veggies are cooked and to your liking, put in bowl.
7. In same pan, without cleaning it put your chicken breast and olive oil in the pan.
8. With chicken face up grade fresh salt & pepper over the chicken.
9. Brown chicken on both sides, finish chicken in oven until cooked.
Ground Turkey w/ easy tomatoe sauce over Zucchini
1. First things first, slice zucchini into long thin slices.
2. Get pan hot, and put olive oil in pan.
3. Lay zucchini down, to char both sides of slices. Season with a little salt & pepper. Put on side when cooked.
4. Dice of tomatoes, throw in pan with olive oil to coat the whole pan. Season with salt, pepper, crushed garlic, and dry herbs of choice. Once cooked, pour water in pan, and let reduce.
5. Once reduced, to a thicker constancy, throw ground turkey in to cook with sauce.
6. Finish cooking turkey and pour over zucchini slices when finished.
1. Fill a pot of hot water, let it reach boil.
2. Put eggs in water, and cook for 10-15 mins on boil.
Protein Bars (I put this recipe up on a previous blog)
1. Combine oats, peanut butter, trail mix, raisins in bowl. (I added coconut oil, SUPER good).
2. Roll into balls and put in freezer for keep.
-And of course eat bananas, apples as please. Added way more than enough for your oatmeal and more snacks:) Because we all know the more active you are the hungrier you get!