Okay so everyone loves pasta!! Once in a while you deserve a cheat day! Especially now that it’s fall! My cheat days always involve pasta :) But you can still keep it “not so cheat day” with this yummy pumpkin/rosemary sauce!
I chose to make my own pumpkin pasta too! So worth it! Doesn’t have the pumpkin flavor, but it really is for color, and adds for healthy pumpkin benefits. And nothing beats homemade pasta! I’ll put the recipe below. But I do have a pasta machine, and stand mixer. A lot of people mix pasta by hand any ways, and you can use a hand roller (fore arm workout). I made ravioli as well, I don’t suggest using a rolling pin if you want to make ravioli.
So first off HOLY PUMPKIN!! Falls ultimate superfood! That we only think of cutting and decorating with. WRONG! It is so good for you to eat as well. Here is a few short snippets on pumpkin health benefits!
- Boosts eye sight/vision (A cup of cooked mashed pumpkin contains 200% of recommended daily intake of vitamin A).
- Aid weight loss (Great source of fiber, 3G/cup serving contains only 49 calories! Will keep you full longer with fewer calories).
- Great for skin!
- Aid recovery after a hard workout! ( One cup of cooked pumpkin has more of the refueling nutrient, potassium; 564 MG compared to a banana’s 422 MG) Extra potassium helps restore the body’s balance of electrolytes after a hard workout!
Semolina Pumpkin Pasta:
2 1/2 Cups of Semolina ( or flour)
Pinch of salt
2 Spoonfuls of Pumpkin Puree
Pumpkin Sauce (Serves two):
3 Crushed Garlic Cloves
Rosemary/Herb mix of choosing
6 Diced Mushrooms
3 Spoonfuls of Pumpkin Puree
Directions for Sauce:
- In a sauce pan put olive oil in with the onions, garlic, and herbs. With salt for taste.
- Once its simmering, and onions are cooked throw in the mushrooms and more olive oil if the pan is dry.
- Once mushrooms are cooked, put in the pumpkin puree with some water. (If you want to go with the optional, instead of water put a little bit of cream, and parmesan cheese). Cook that down.
- Taste taste taste as you go and flavor with salt as you go.
- This sauce is super easy and super yummy!!
If you’re making it with pasta, make sure you put cooked pasta right in the sauce and let the sauce coat the pasta!!
Directions for Pumpkin Pasta:
- Put all the dry ingredients in a stand mixer, or on a pile on a clean table.
- Whip eggs with pumpkin puree in a separate bowl.
- Put in stand mixer with dry ingredients, OR make a well in the pile of dry ingredients on your table and mix wet into dry with hands...The dough may be a little wet add flour as you go into mixture. Until
- Once combined let it sit for 30 mins.
- Take a handful of dough and start kneading it. Even using a pasta machine I still roll out the dough a couple of times before even using the pasta machine.
- Once its at a silky consistency, use the pasta machine. Or if using a hand roller roll it as thin as you can go.
- If using a hand roller go as thin as possible, and cut noodles as close to a similar width with a knife, or pizza cutter.
- Let pasta dry for at least 15 mins, and at the same time boil some water with a pinch of salt in it.
- Throw pasta in and cook literally for a couple mins or until cooked.
So easy and sooooo good!!! And even though its a “cheat day” there is still yummy benefits!! Enjoy!