Who said you can't stick to your diet and still enjoy taco tuesday?
I was in search for an alternative to not feel so guilty, and still enjoy a taco. And I found it, and it definitely delivered. So instead of a corn or flour tortilla I made a cauliflower base tortilla, super easy (even for a mom, watching a newborn at the same time). So yes anyone can do it.
And I chose steak, because I am a sucker for red meat. I seasoned my steak with a homemade tomatillo salsa. Instead of steak you could do turkey or chicken.
Topped it with avocado, more tomatillo salsa, and cilantro. YUM!
Before doing anything, pre-heat oven to 375
Ingredients for Cauliflower Tortillas:
1. Head of Cauliflower
2. One egg
3. Salt & Pepper
4. Two cloves of garlic
1. First I chopped up the head of cauliflower, boiled in a pot of hot water. And added the garlic to the pot (adds a natural garlic flavor)
2. When the cauliflower is cooked, and soft. I took it out of the pot and put it in a blender. Threw that in the freezer to cool down.
3. When it's cool enough to handle, this is a really important step, you want to put the pureed cauliflower into a cloth and squeeze out all the water.
4. Once the water is squeezed out, put it in a bowl and mix it with a the egg. Add salt and pepper to your liking.
5. Put a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet, and scoop the mixture into round tortilla like circles.
6. Bake for 10 ins, or until finished cooking. And flash fry for color in a hot pan, with some olive oil!
1. Four Tomatillos
2. 1/2 cup of onions
3. 1/2 cup of cilantro
4. One lime
5. Two Garlic cloves
1. First step broil the tomatillos & garlic on a sheet pan (By the way I did this while the cauliflower was boiling, so I wouldn't be wasting time, when it was time for the tortillas to bake). Anyways leave the tomatillos in oven for about 5 mins, or until you start to see them blister.
2. Throw that in a blender with the onions, cilantro, and squeeze the lime into the blender.
3. Blend it and viola!
I seasoned my skirt steak with the salsa, added a little salt and pepper, and put it into a super hot cast iron pan. It was delicious.